Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Waves of Mercy

When I was about five, my family went to the Outer Banks of North Carolina for a week vacation with the Jansen family. One day as I held my Aunt Nelda's hand standing in the edge of the water, the tide brought in a high, powerful wave that knocked us apart. I remember the moment distinctly as I somersaulted in the powerful curl. I have often thought that the months ahead are like an approaching wave. It as if I can see an advancing wall of water, a tide of change coming towards me that I am powerless to great threatening wave. I was reading a friend's blog (you know how it is...) and came across this quote, which encouraged me greatly as I think about the coming challenge of motherhood and the whirlwind of the next couple months as Travis finishes school, we move to another temporary living situation and we prepare to be parents.
We have great demands, but Christ has great supplies. Between here and heaven, we may have greater wants than we have yet known. But all along the journey, every resting place is ready; provisions are laid up, good cheer is stored and nothing has been overlooked. The commissary of the Eternal is absolutely perfect.
Do you sometimes feel so thirsty for grace that you could drink the Jordan dry? More than a river could hold is given to you, so drink abundantly, for Christ has prepared a bottomless sea of grace to fill you with all the fullness of God. Do not be frugal. Do not doubt your Savior. Do not limit the Holy One of Israel. Be great in your experience of His-all-sufficiency. Be great in your praises of His bounty, and in heaven you will pour great treasures of gratitude at His feet. ~ Besides Still Waters by CH Spurgeon

No comments: