Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Thoughts, Part Three

This morning's theme is "The Profit of Godly Labor"--sounds good, right? As I read in Isaiah 48 and 49 I was provoked by 49 vs four's question:
"But I said, I have lavoured in vain. I have spent my strength for nothing and
vanity!"

Yesterday was a difficult day for me. Anytime I stay up late I am exhausted by a normal day's activities. Kate woke up sick, so there was the added burden of caring for her abnormal fussiness. At the end of yesterday, and other days just like it, I am tempted to feel like, "What's the point??" Thoughts run through my head like my floors are still dirty, my kitchen is dirtier, and I really wanted to have enough energy for my husband!

In this Christmas season, I want to remember the strength of God's redeeming purposes for those days and moments by applying this answer found in chapter 48 vs. 17:
"Thus says the Lord, Your Redeemer the Holy One of Israel. I am the Lord your God who teaches you to profit, who leads you in the way you should go"

The ESV study bible says "The servant confesses his sense of failure due to Israel's poor response yet the servant does not turn from God in cynical unbelief. He accepts emotional suffering and frustrating toil with confidence that God will reward him."

In this season, I want to encourage my own soul with the promise that the Lord teaches us to profit from every effort and labor that we undertake in His name.

No comments: