Monday, April 09, 2012

I am not a toddler mom

Ever feel that way? Your two year old, if he is anything like mine, has some pretty amazing abilities. He can not only destroy things quickly and quietly, like Nikon cameras and couch slipcovers, but seem to derail my slightest attempts at 'godliness'. I find myself longing for a break. But god really spoke to me through a discussion with my family on Easter that reminded me about this bery great calling of motherhood in this very moment with these very kids. 'Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment' 1 Timothy 6:6.

Contentment. That is a word to chew on for a while, to digest as a mother. Children are not merely a project with a start and finish line. Motherhood, the essentially feminine act of work, requires contentment. I want to stop striving against my children, against the barrage of dirt, illness, and complaints - and find peace with who I am made for Him, what calling He has assigned me, and the place of weakness where I am at. All the losses to myself can be gain if I cherish peaceful content.

I was encouraged by Rachel's thought on this topic:
Think about the feeding of the five thousand when the disciples went out and rounded up the food that was available. It wasn’t much. Some loaves. Some fish. Think of some woman pulling her fish out and handing it to one of the disciples. That had to have felt like a small offering. But the important thing about those loaves and those fishes was not how big they were when they were given, it was about whose hands they were given into. In the hands of the Lord, that offering was sufficient. It was more than sufficient. There were leftovers. Given in faith, even a small offering becomes great.
(http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/motherhood-as-a-mission-field)

Now there is great gain in godliness if we remember we are giving what little we have, even if your two year old makes you feel like all you have is a leftover, but we are giving it to Him.

1 comment:

CreativeChretin said...

I feel this way a lot. Having a boy-child is challenging. He constantly brings out the sin in me and i'm always feeling like i need a break. Thankfully, my mom reminded me that these years and hard but worthwhile. Hang in there!