Saturday, December 30, 2006

Big City Travels

Catching up...Our trip to New York was magical... We have to thank my uncle Erik and his friends, Howard and Gilette for their generosity. Howard helped us out with all the restaraunt recommendations and we were also introduced to a wonderful woman, Gilette,with whom we stayed in her wonderful guest quarters. We went on our first night in the city to a wonderful Italian meal at a neighborhood restaraunt on the Upper East Side. Overall, we enjoyed some of the best New York has to offer-- great food, good conversation and a warm crowd of people.
On the new day we walked the city seeing all the holiday sights including those in the windows at famous stores. My husband is wonderful to travel with as he has no unrealistic goals for seeing all the sights, but rather wants to enjoy the moment and the scene around him. We enjoyed lunch at Dean & Deluca, relishing their hot soups and sandwiches to sustain us through our special day. We decided in the fall that this would be an early celebration of our first anniversary--and what could be better than ice skating in Rockafeller Center and then going to dinner off of Madison Avenue?
We skated around as dusk was falling and then untied them to hurry uptown to change for dinner. We had reservations at my uncle's recommendation at a little elegant place called Alto. We enjoyed a wonderful four course meal of inventive dishes (there's another story there..but it will have to wait) including an appetizer, pasta, meat and fish, and finished off with dessert. It was definitely a meal to remember and the nicest place I've ever dined at. But I must confess it was the company that won my full attention.... We ended the evening with a trip to Times Square to finish our Midtown Tour. We know it is one of many trips we will take to New York City-- we already have a list of the things we would love to enjoy together like museums, Ruebens, more chocolates, and of course, shows. We'll try again next year!

3 comments:

Alivia's Momma said...

Happy Anniversary. I can hardly believe it was only a year ago we were watching you walk down the aisle. Congratulations.
*E

Jessica said...

Nora,
I just ran across your blog. I'm so happy to see that things are going so well for you. I've been thinking about you since I have now joined you on the west coast. Dave and I just returned from our honeymoon a few weeks ago and are happily settling into our life in San Diego. I have started a blog (I'm really bad at it =)!, but if you have a chance to visit, I would love to hear from you!
www.avenifam.blogspot.com
I hope we can see each other soon!
Love,
Jess (Mordente) Aveni

Rachel said...

Jeremy and I may be getting New York advice from you soon... that is one of our "roadtrips" planned for the year! (and I still have never been...)