Monday, April 23, 2007

Nora's Believe It or Not

I am still eating lettuce from Easter.
One of the glorious benefits of living in Arizona is that stuff stays alive longer in your fridge than I have EVER known. Therefore, when I purchased about 3 heads of lettuce for Easter festivities, and then got a bonus 3 heads of lettuce from my co-op, I am still benefiting from chopped romaine in my fridge.
We had some friends over the other night to eat dinner and play Mexican train, a dominoes game, and this salad was created by being, as my mother loves to say, "resourceful" (for in her opinion she thinks this word is the definition of my wifely life.)

Resourceful Salad

1 head romaine, chopped
2 cups strawberries, quartered
6 spears grilled asparagus
1/2 cup feta cheese
1/2 cup crispy fried onions
1/2 head Thai basil, chiffonade

Dressing (processed in the blender)
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 T. soy sauce
1 T. sugar
1 clove garlic, mashed with coarse salt
2 Tb. vegan mayonnaise
The hint of minty basil was wonderful with the sweet citrus of the strawberry and the nice round acid of the balsamic cut with the red wine vinegar was a great complement to the pungent richness of the onions and cheese.

No comments: