Friday, September 29, 2006

Mission Accomplished

It is by His grace alone and in His strength alone that we are able to complete any work.--I can do all things who strengthens me. I am meditating on God's infinite wisdom and power this morning as I prepare for battle against anxiety, worry and fear as I think about many different circumstances.
There is an excellent chapter at the end of Providence that talks about the practical application of understanding what God is doing. It says :

"It is here supposed to be the Christian's great duty, under the
apprehensions of approaching troubles, to resign his will to God's and quietly commit the events and their outcome to Him, whatever they may prove. Thus did David in the like case and circumstances: 'Carry back the ark of God into the city;if I shall find favour int he eyes of the Lord, he will bring me back again, and show me both it and his habitation: But if he thus say, I have no delight in thee: behold here am I, let him do to me as seemeth good unto him' 2 Sam 15.25-26. O lovely and truly Christian attitude! As much as to say...Go return with the ark to its place; thought I have not the symbol, yet I hope I shall have the real presence of God with me in this sad journey. How He will dispose the events of this sad and doubtful providence I know not. Either I shall return again to Jerusalem or I shall not. If I do, then I shall see it again and enjoy the Lord in His ordinances there. If I do not, then I shall go to that place where there is no need or use of those things. And either way it will be well for me. I am content to refer all to the divine pleasure an dommit the issue, be it whatever it will, to the Lord. And until our hearts come to the like resolve, we can have no peace within. 'Commit thy works unto the Lord and thy thoughts shall be established' Prov 16.3. By works he means not only every enterprise and business we undertake, but every puzzling, intricate and doubtful event we fear. These being once committed by an act of faith and our wills resigned to His, besides the comfort we shall have in the issue, we shall have the present advantages of a well-composed and peaceful spirit."


'When I am afraid, I put my trust in you O God'
There is so much in flux right now and so many needs. But as I have wrestled with a soul not at rest I realize that these circumstances and "puzzling" providences are a means by which God desires to reveal more of Himself to me. As I completed this quilt, I realize that it is not just the work I undertook, but the work of God in prayer. My hope is not in my work, no matter how good they are, but in the mercy of God. He is established His will and the goodness of His providences for me and others and will do all I cannot.


No comments: