Friday, June 30, 2006

Sister Surprises


Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky...Travis and I took off to Mexico to steal away from the heat and to surprise my sister who was in Juarez for two weeks. See Emily's blog for more pictures and details...We snuck up behind her while she was in the kitchen preparing one of the hundred meals she made while she was serving the kids and volunteers. Her face was priceless. There is nothing better than bringing joy to another sister who is away from home.

Another sister of mine, Emily Baker, is moving away too. We have said multiple goodbyes to them this week at various friend's parties. I reminded Emily to anticipate the future with faith. As a new transplant, I am coming to realize the importance of having a heavenly perspective on leaving loved ones behind. You have to see the present as a means of grace as much as a trustworthy promise of future hope. You know the old adage, "Bloom where you are planted" ? I reminded Emily of that because God seems to have made some people like her and Eric, my friends who married military men, Sarah and Janelle, and my friends in Australia, Elizabeth and Logan to possess a unique resiliance and joy in the face of "starting over". They bear fruit where they are planted and it brings so much glory to God through their lives in transitions. I can only hope to mirror their example and access that grace.

1 comment:

Nel Jansen said...

Nortje:
Oh, the tears in my eyes, seeing that picture of you two. That is just so precious. Hmmm, maybe I'll see if I can't save that picture and tuck it away somewhere for future tender moments. Your being-sneaky Aunt Nel, LOL.